Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Heater isn’t warm. I have flow through the heater core but…

Customer Question
Heater isn’t warm. I...

Heater isn’t warm. I have flow through the heater core but no heat

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

Coolant level is good. If the engine warms up and the level drops in the radiator than the t stat opened right?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I have kind of flushed the core with an air compressor and coolant definantly flows through it. How do I know if the water pump is working?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The actuator for the blend door looks like it is working...

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/18/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this today.

It sounds like you have checked all the basics, and from what you have described I also think it may be a thermostat or pump issue. Can you check and make sure the upper/lower radiator hoses are both the same temperature? That will let us know if the t-stat is opening/closing

The lower is cool. But it’s 20 degrees out and truck was running maybe 15 mins
Are we still connected?
Hello?????

Sorry for the delay, my little boy got a bit crazy so I had to go help out. Have you left the truck running to warm it up?

Sorry no. I turned it off a while ago and came inside
I will start it again if it stays cool what’s the issue?

Yeah let's get it to operating temperature and recheck it. If it stays cool that means the thermostat is stuck open and not allowing the system to build up the proper temperature

I have hot going into the heater core but Luke warm coming out. Is there any restrictions in the heater core? Like a control valve ? Or is the temp control in the cab all done by a blend door?
Could a partial restriction in the heater core be the problem? Otherwise I am thinking it must have to do with weak circulation or no circulation but I would think that the engine would run hot if the circulation was bad.

Ok if it is hot coming in then there is a restriction somewhere in the heater core assembly. It is a straight in/out set up at the heater core, so if the temperature is dropping there it is due a restriction

Ok thanks. I am guessing if there is some flow through it that I should be able to flush it out without replacing it? Any concoctions that you know of that might “dissolve” a restriction?

If compressed air didn't work then you will want to use pressurized water if possible, this usually takes out the gunk. If it is a severe restriction then you can run some approved degreasers with the engine running, this will help warm up and dissolve whatever remains, but it will require flushing the coolant afterwards

Last question since I just don’t understand how the blend door can change the air temp. Can the temp be dropped in the heater core by the outside cold air but not be directed into the cabin? Does the blend door redirect the warm air or ?
my upper radiator hose is hot. Bottom is cool. Cap is still cold too. I guess what I am thinking is if the water pump isn’t circulating proper will it not have enough pressure to push water through the core?

The blend door directs air from or away from the heater core, so usual heat issues are a result of the actuator, but since you have verified your's is moving, that will not be the issue. If it was a waterpump issue it would be overheating the truck under a load, have you experienced any overheating lately?

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician