Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Heating issues, trying to diagnose it. 2001 caravan 3.3L…

Heating issues, trying to...

Heating issues, trying to diagnose it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

2001 caravan 3.3L flexfuel, engine almost overheats before I get heat out of the cabin vents.

1/17/2018
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic

have you changed the thermostat yet?

last November. Current issue: Engine will heat up like normal, but I don't get any heat out of the cabin vents. Then the engine will start to overheat, temp gauge approaches H, then thermostat opens. Engine cools off and I have some heat finally. The weird thing is that it doesn't do this all the time. Some days I'll start it in the morning to go to work, engine temp climbs as I would expect it to and I start getting heat at the same time. Other weird thing, sometimes cruising down the highway it'll start blowing cold air out fo the vents for a minute or three, and then go back to being warm.
I've had the radiator cap off a few times checking fluid level, which is always good. And I've started it a couple times with the cap off and I can see the fluid moving so I think the water pump is still working. If I rev the engine with the cap off, I can see the level drop down a little bit and come back up when I let of the throttle.
I've worked on more than a few cars over the years, and I was a diesel mechanic in the Navy so I kinda know my way around an engine, but I've never seen behavior like this before and I'm a bit stumped.

?when it does this is the radiator fans not working

I've not noticed one way or the other concerning the fans. Its been too cold outside for me to stand around and watch it idle int he driveway waiting on it to warm up. I don't think there s a fan issue though as once that initial over-temp occurs, it never gets much above 220 degrees after that (I have a ScanGauge plugged in to the diagnostic port so I can see the coolant temp real-time). I can certainly try to do that this evening after I get home from work and the engine cools off some.

it truely sounds like a lazy thermostat...i would swap it out

xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
I can certainly do that again. Thanks for the advice.