Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am having trouble getting my '99 Dakota 5.2 to start after…

I am having trouble...

I am having trouble getting my '99 Dakota 5.2 to start after being parked for a week in -30 to -40 temps. I have had it plugged in. It fires, idles very slow (3-400 Rpm) for 30 seconds or so then dies. If I give it any throttle it dies. I have put gas line antifreeze it the tank and put a small amount into the throttle body. If I put gas directly into the throttle body it runs until the gas is burned then quits.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

Question, Is there a fuse or circuit breaker for the fuel pump?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have tried heating the engine compartment, I have been using the block heater, I have kept the battery charged, I have put gas line antifreeze in the fuel tank

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's about it. thanks

1/17/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So it seems like you just have a typical case of frozen fuel line, If you can get a space heater under it or any type of heater with a tarp that will help get everything back to operating temp

Thank you, ***** ***** put a space heater under the engine comp with blankets to try holding as much heat as possible in. I will try following the fuel line from the tank to the engine with my heat gun.
No thank you. I can take it from here. Thank you for your help.

sure thing!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician