Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2005 dodge neon sxt will not go into gear. i just

My 2005 dodge neon...

My 2005 dodge neon sxt will not go into gear. i just replaced the motor mount number two right by the power stearing. car was just running fine and we also broke the transmission cooling line in which we fixed. why wont my car go into gear

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The transmission is as old as the car and i never heard of the break switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Neon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and we replaced all of the motor mounts plus the transmission mounts and i just put in the transmisdion cooling line. car was running fine until the next day and couldnt do anything

1/17/2018
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Is the transmission fluid at the proper level?

Ran the engine for 1/2 hr tried to put in gear and the rpms went up put in reverse the rpms went up a bit but won’t go anywhere
Is there a safety feature on the car ? The car ran just fine and then nothing ..

Is the check engine light on?

No

When a vehicle will not move it is usually related to fluid pressure in the transmission. You said you broke a cooler line which would mean that you lost some fluid. Low fluid level would cause this. Double check everything around the areas that those parts were replaced. I would drain the transmission fluid and inspect. Lower the transmission pan and check the filter in the transmission for debris.

Ok but in this car is there a safety feature that would shut the transmission off so it won’t get wreck
After replacing the trans cooler line I ran the car put more fluid in .. so hearing the rpms go up when trying to put in reverse or drive the fluid is still low

Not that kind of safety feature. It will go into limp mode, but then you would have a code in the transmission control module.

There’s no codes that went off

Then your transmission fluid is still low. How are you checking trans fluid level?

Filling by dip stick and checking (wiping off ) and putting it back in

Is the engine running when checking?

Have to
Well since no codes have popped up I’ll go out and check the fluids again and run it like your suppose to and go from there

Just making sure. Was the engine or transmission removed?

Nope .....

Are there any fluid leaks?

The car ran fine until i put the car in reverse and then drive and nothing ..... like I said replaced the trans cooler line and.
But I try to put the car in reverse or drive the rpms do go up a bit
I’ll look at the fluid again and see if the shift solenoid was bad would there be a code that would go off

Were the drive axles removed?

Nope
The car ran just fine and then nothing

Pull both trans cooler lines and point them into a bucket. Start the engine and make sure the fluid is flowing out of one of the lines.

Only run it for a few seconds then shut the engine off.

I’ve look at everything.... thank you for your time

No Problem. Please do not forget to rate 3 or more stars. A rating would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. We can continue to chat here even after the rating. Thanks

I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated. Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more. A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a 3 star or higher rating would be appreciated You can do this rating by clicking on the stars. This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! I do not get credit unless you give a positive rating. If you give a negative rating (2 stars or less) that does not result in a refund. So please ask what you need more help with and lets get your question answered!

Dan, ASE Certified Technician