Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

When in gear, 2005 Neon SXT "stumbles" at idle and reads…

Customer Question
When in gear, 2005...

When in gear, 2005 Neon SXT "stumbles" at idle and reads code P1684. Cause?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

About 70,000 2.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Neon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had it diagnosed today they only found the stumble!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Would a bad T control relay be the problem, or simply a bad TCM to battery connection?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
1/17/2018
Dodge Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thank you for visiting the site. Please allow me a few minutes to review your question.

check the connection at the transmission control module. the Transmission control relay is an unlikely suspect as it only supplies power to the solenoid pack once the TCM is energized.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That'll take more than a bit of time I guess, especially out in the freezing cold nigt -- I guess it must be done.

Ill be here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think the "stumble" while only in gear has anything to do with the P code I mentioned?

if it is a loose connection and battery power was interrupted to the TCM , absolutely.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, but why no "stumble" in Park or Neutral?

the transmission is not engaged. the line pressures are at zero and the inhibit switch is relaxed.

P1684

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
David, Thanks for your responses.
It's late here and I need carry out your suggestions in the am.
After I've done the work, can I continue this chat late tommow?

absolutely, Ill be right here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. I'll sign in then.
Good night.

good night

hows it going?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi David. LOOKS LIKE THE CODE P1684 I MENTIONED WAS DUE TO MY DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY A LITTLE BIT AGO. THE ENGINE STUMBLE I MENTIONED IS INTERMITTENT, PROBABLY DUE TO A LOOSE CONNECTION SOMEWHERE THAT I STILL NEED TO RUN DOWN.
AM I BARKING UP TH WRONG TREE?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
David, 1:42 am here, and I need to go back to bed. I'll work the problem more when I'm off from duties at noon-hour tomorrow. Will then pick up the thread with you.
Jim

ok, so the code is gone? pull a spark plug and see what it looks like

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the plugs were replaced just a few months ago, but a friend says one may still be bad -- maybe bad internal conduction to the gap. Will pull all, one at a time.
And, maybe the coil is intermittently bad and the computer missed it -- is that some that something that needs to be re-checked?
Anything else?

pulling the plugs and checking to see if one is fouled or wet is the first thing to check.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will try to get that done over the noon hour.
Will be back afterwards.

ok

hows it going?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Real bad.
Laid up in bed with terrible pain all day -- fractured sacrum.
Will have to put off looking that darn neon for a while.
Will try to to get at it asap, and will sign on then.
Jim,

sorry to hear that. get better my friend

Jerry, Master Mechanic