Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Turns over,but won'tstart. 1999 ram1500 (3.9 v-6) Added fuel…

Turns over,but won'tstart Mechanic's...

Turns over,but won'tstart

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

1999 ram1500 (3.9 v-6)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. added fuel drier("heet") to tank-tried starting according to manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Gas mileage normal

1/15/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Tell me when you turn the key to the "on" position, can you hear the fuel pump in the tank run for a few seconds and then turn off?

Chris

Ok good. Now when you crank it, does the tachometer needle move up just a little?

Chris

don't have tach

Ok, do you have a scan tool or code reader? If so, look at the engine RPM display on the scan tool and/or check for codes next.

Chris

don't have tach . no scan tool or reader

Hmmm, ok, it would be a huge help to have a scan tool. So the problem is going to be a failed crankshaft position sensor on the right top transmission bell housing area, the cam sensor in the distributor, the ignition coil, coil wire, Map sensor, contaminated fuel, See if you can rent/borrow a scan tool or code reader. Otherwise we will be guessing. You could at least check for spark while cranking and see if it is ignition related.

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Thank you! I will keep this session open just in case you have any follow up questions or need further assistance getting the truck running.

Chris