Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2010 dodge 3500 key fob will not turn the ignition. I can…

2010 dodge 3500 key fob...
2010 dodge 3500 key fob will not turn the ignition. I can remote start it but once my key fob touches ignition it dies. Acts like truck does not recognize key?
1/14/2018
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome, my name is Mark.

So, the fob doesn't physically turn the ignition OR it just doesn't start the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It physically won’t turn. If I start it with remote right when i touch key to ignition it dies.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have two key fobs and both do it. They will lock and unlock butignition will not turn at all!

Thanks for the reply. If the fob won't physically turn in the ignition, then the ignition is the problem. You should be able to insert any object into the ignition and it will still turn...........just won't start obviously because there isn't a fob there, but the point is, that there is nothing to prevent the ignition turning except itself.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything further thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a way to pull out just the ignition?

Since it is part of the anti theft system, there isn't a way to bypass it if that is what you mean.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I just don’t understand why you can remote start it and right when you insert key fob It dies. Without trying to turn it. Seems like it does not recognize the remote!

That's correct. The ignition has to recognize the remote and turn. Unfortunately yours will do neither and that is why it will need replacing.

Remote start simply bypasses the ignition.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much! Have a great day!

You're very welcome. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news though.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician