Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a grinding noise when in 4X4 mode on my 2005 Dakota.

Customer Question
v8. Only occurs when accelerating...
I have a grinding noise when in 4X4 mode on my 2005 Dakota. v8. Only occurs when accelerating. The noise is a metallic grinding sound. The 4X4 engages.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/14/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

There can be several possibilities for your issue. The first step I would like you to do is to take a look at the transfer case fluid and see if there is any signs of metal debris.

I replaced the fluid last summer. All was clean then.
The noise is only there when I accelerate. Forward or reverse.
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Was the noise happening last summer? How about the front differential fluid? Did we double check the fluid since the noise has been happening?

No noise last summer. I replaced all the fluids. I did just check the transfer case level and it was fine.
I didn't check the front diff lately. I can do that this evening.
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

So you checked the transfer case fluid when noise was happening and no metal using a filter strainer when draining some fluid?

We will need to inspect the front as well as making sure the 4X4 is working when making noise. We also need to determine if the transfer case motor shifts as it should and locks up the front wheels.

The 4X4 does engage and works. I can check the diff level and I'll drain off some fluid from the transfer case and inspect. Will take me an hour or so. I've also read on a few forums that the front prop shaft can be at fault. Common problem on the Dakotas?
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

It is not common.

Common problems are actually

incorrect transfer case fluid

transfer case motor

rear differential fluid

front differential fluid

Adding friction additive

driveshaft

for now, I'll check the diff and transfer oils. Sound good?
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Sounds great, come back with a follow up. Remember to use a strainer to be able to collect any possible metal deposits when draining a little.

I just checked my repair log and it was actually Nov 2016 when I changed all the oils. This means it had a full winter of 4x4 action last year with no issues. I didn't add any additional additives to the oils. Does this change your mind about things to check?
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

I will always check as soon as a issue occurs. you never know until you do the inspection properly, otherwise you will be looking for something that you cant find if you do not do the basic procedures.

(Example) checking electronic issues and not checking the fuse first will cause you to back track after checking everything else.

You still have driveshaft, Ujoints, and wheel bearings to check.

If you do not want to check what I ask, I can let another expert take over to assist you. Maybe there are other options for you. Let me know if you want me to open this back up for another expert to assist you :).

Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

PS. Adding friction additive can help remove the noise if it is a binding type noise. It is rather difficult without hearing the noise myself.

NP. I'll check the oils. Was just asking.
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Sounds, good. I am just trying to give you my best professional opinion from results we receive.

Update: The front diff oil level is good. Nice and clear too.I drained out about 1/4 cup and inspected. There was a small amount of debris. A few flecks (5 small flecks) of shiny material and some bits that were probably dirt as they disolved when rubbed.
the oil drained from the transfer case).
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Others were clearly metal? It’s possible the transfer case has some friction then. You can try adding an friction additive to help resolve the issue. Can you try adding the additive? Local parts stores should sell it
Sure. How much to add?
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Should not be more than 20.00
I'm thinking I will replace the oil and add the additive. Stores are closed now - will do it tomorrow. What oil do you recommend? It's a 233D transfer case.
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Currently I’m away from my computer to review the actual specification, but give me the vin and I’ll review the information in a hour or so.
1D7HW48N85S212168
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Ok great, I will reply within 2 hours at the latest as soon as I get to my computer
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Transfer Case Fluid Capacity

Unit Liters Quarts

NV233 1.1 1.16237

NV244 1.3 1.37371

Thats what information I have for fluid type.

I replaced the fluid. No change. I then moved into troubleshooting the T-case to front diff drive shaft and that is where the problem is. The CV is dried out and boot failed. I pulled it out and that is definitely the issue. Part has been ordered.
Dodge Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Glad you found the problem. Is there anything else o can do for you?
Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis