Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My catalytic converter glows red at idle. I was told my

Customer Question
My catalytic converter glows...

My catalytic converter glows red at idle

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?

Yes. I was told my exhaust system is shot

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2000 Durango 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not, but I changed three bad spark plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just need to know how long I can drive it like that? i work an hr away and need to know if it is safe to drive until I get money to fix

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/9/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr. replied 6 months ago
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If your converter is glowing red hot this is usually a sign that you are getting excess fuel in the exhaust. This can come from a variety of things.,...Leaking fuel injectors, poor intake/exhaust valse sealing, timing issues, excess fuel pressure, and maybe a combination of these. Since the converter is red hot, you need to know that is it no longer doing its job. Internally, it may have melted. Any converter that has become red hot needs replaced after the cause is rectified. Driving it is not a good idea, because if a piece of the converter breaks off, it will end up plugging the muffler. This can cause very poor driveability and a high likelihood of a no start condition. The best advise I can give you (because I cannot see it or do tests) would be to get the vehicle checked out, fuel pressure, injector condition, proper cam timing, etc. Get the problem cured before fitting a new converter.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.