Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1996 Stratus 2.4 showing code 42. ASD circuit open. It

Customer Question
1996 Stratus 2.4 showing...

1996 Stratus 2.4 showing code 42

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

ASD circuit open

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Stratus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, it cranks but doesn't fire at all

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/9/2018
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

This code is for the ASD relay's control circuit and can be caused by a few things.

It could be the relay itself.

It could be a wiring issue between the relay and powertrain control module or the powertrain control module itself, but either of these aren't that likely.

There is a good chance that fuse 5 in the power distribution center is blown, which is what powers the ASD relay. If the fuse is blown it's either because of high current draw in a component on the circuit or the circuit is shorted to ground somewhere in the harness.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

No blown fuse, besides a code 42 I also have a 33
Dodge Mechanic: tims auto repair, mechanic replied 6 months ago
tims auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

how many miles is on it?

how and when did this problem first begin?

87000, one week ago

did it just die on you/please explain

On the way home, died stop sign hasn't started since

To avoid asking you to do something you’ve already tried, can you tell me what troubleshooting steps you’ve already attempted?

Checked fuses, fuel pressure, cranks but doesn't fire

do you have a spark on your plug wires?

No

does the engine seem to crank easier than normal?..does it seem like the engine turns quick and easy?

Not really, why?

ok,,i will give you my thoughts..will that work for you?

Sure

ok..from the way you explain,i think your timing belt has broken..that is why you dont have a spark,,the cam sensor isnt getting a reading..

you need to remove a spark plug and install a compression test gauge to test the compression,it should have over 100psi on 2 turns of the engine,,if not it is out of time..if it is in time and the belt is good,,then i think the problem may be the crank or cam sensor...

sense it died while running,i think the timing belt broke and needs replaced

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i0qrzdu8f9hguo/0109-stratus-Name%20of%20Code.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/8i0qrzdu8f9hguo/0109-stratus-Name%20of%20Code.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Replaced water pump, and belt 300 miles ago. It has compression.

please stand by. Perhaps one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here.

someone will be right with you.

thanks