Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I asked a question the other day. I have a Ram 3500 6.7 with…

Customer Question
I asked a question the...
I asked a question the other day. I have a Ram 3500 6.7 with no driver heat and some to little heat on passenger side coming out.I have now pulled the dash and the hvac system from the truck after previously reverse flushing the heater core. I have opened up the air system and discovered no issues with the blend doors or actuators. The heater core looks in good condition as well as a/c evaporator. At this point I'm at a loss for ideas. A mechanic buddy of mine says there may be a problem with a solenoid that opens and closes the coolant from coming through the heater core. Is that a possibility? Where would that be located? Could there be a blockage in a tight corner somewhere else in the line that's common?I'm currently about to bypass the heater core and run one hose from inlet to outlet and get the truck up to operating temperature. If the hose doesn't get warm than I would assume the solenoid valve that opens the coolant circulation has gone bad and is closed or blocked? Is that safe to say? And if it does get warm than I'm assuming the heater core was partially plugged up on one side to where the blend doors were open but only one side was getting partial coolant to get it slightly warm.I hope you can follow my thought process. Trying to narrow it all down the line.I have ordered a brand new a/c evaporator and heater core already since I don't want to be messing with this again for a long time to be on the safe side. Thanks for putting up with me!
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/8/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

I went through the info on your model again for the heater and ac operation and I know of the solenoid the mechanic was speaking of but looking at your vehicles system it does not have this solenoid.Coolant comes directly from the engine.You are doing good to bypass the heater core.Check and see if the heater hoses are then very warm to hot to the touch.If they are slightly warm or not at all then you want to flush out the heater hoses back to the engine and have the engine cooling system flushed out to remove any debris in it that is causing coolant flow issues to the heater core itself.This will cause this fault here if you have low flow from the heater hoses from the engine due to a restriction in one of the hoses or the engine itself and usually flush out the hoses and engine will correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

In the process of trying to get the hose to bypass the heater core I managed to break off the 90 degree black plastic piece coming out of the top of the engine. What is that part number? The piece fell down too low where I can’t even retrieve it

Oh, that sucks, I've done that before.

Unfortunately, my info is not showing the part number for this.Usually, this part number has to be obtained from a dealers parts department.They won't charge to tell you this part number and can look it up per your vehicles VIN number.My info doesn't list some of the smaller pieces like this for their part numbers.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician