Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just replaced battery 2 days ago. Went to start this morning…

Customer Question
Just replaced battery 2...

Just replaced battery 2 days ago. Went to start this morning and nothing. Connected battery to charger and light on dash is flashing between deck and no fuse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Not yet still dark out.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2013 Avenger

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had guy down the road replace the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cuz I kept having to jump it for about a week

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/7/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Pretty sure blown IOD fuse.

It sounds as though either something electrical is being left on draining the battery, or a short circuit is draining the battery.

Once you get the battery charged back up, check everything electrical on that vehicle and first make sure nothing was left on, then make sure everything electrical works. If you find out something that don't work, chances are that is the electrical circuit with the short circuit draining the battery.

If you want to be able to pinpoint t even further you would need access to an ammeter and some time in order to diagnose, but basically you disconnect the negative battery cable, place the ammeter inline in between the disconnected battery post and cable, turn everything off and remove the key and the dc amp draw should be less than 50mA (0.050 amps). If it is more than that start pulling fuses one at a time and leave them out until you find out which fuse's circuit it is that allows the ammeter to drop safely below 50mA, Then inspect that fuse's circuit for where the short circuit is so hook the battery backup, remove the ammeter, then the voltmeter and trace from the fuse to whatever is not functioning testing along the way for the presence of voltage then where all of a sudden you loose that voltage, with the fuse powered on of course. Then the spot where you loose the voltage will be right where the short circuit is whether it be a short circuit to another wire or a short to ground of something metal.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Yeah, that Ignition Off Draw fuse does power a lot of things, but if it blew and the battery still drains, then the short sounds like it would be in the wire before that IOD fuse.

Let me get a wiring diagram, hold on.

I just replaced the battery. It sparks when charger connected but still has no fuse and deck message on dash. Need to find the fuse.

Does this have the 2.4 or 3.6 engine?

make sure this is not going to happen again.

Ok, what is this deck message?

Does that mean the rear deck is ajar or open?

That would drain the battery.

Flashing between deck and no fuse. 3.6
When first went to start nothing worked not even the remote door unlock.

Hopefully 1 more question, SE, SXT or R/T?

Cause the battery was dead most likely because of the drain.

Uh no idea. SE maybe
If fuse is blown will charging battery make it start?
Also noticed clicking noise when turn ignition off.

Open and slam that deck lid and see if that deck light goes out.

The clicking noise could be a relay clicking but that may still be because the battery is weak. If it still clicks when the battery is fully charged , let me know.

Which fuse number is ***** IOD and is which fuse box is it?

I only have numbers for the fuse locations, no initials.

I see a 7 and 8 in the owners manual.

7 feeds the wireless ignition module, so it is possible if that is blow the engine won't start,

It just started but is on charger. I know it is a 20 amp fuse from YouTube video. Opened and closed deck.

Excuse me that was 8.

No more deck or No fuse warning and it started without being on charger after making sure all fuses secure.

7 feeds the radio, cluster and left vanity lamp, so that won't.

It just died....And nothing working again.

See if that fuse 8 blew. Was that the fuse before?

Ok let me find 8

Fuse 8 also feeds fuse 17 which then feeds that ignition module. So, check both of them.

8 was the one I had that said IOD as well as 7.

Can't get it out
17 is fine

I actually see a lot of IOD fuses.

This should help you identify those fuse in the Integrated Power Module and here is the power wiring diagram as well.

Here is a copy of the owners manual also.

It is a little big so it make take a few seconds do download on a high speed internet.

What was that original IOD fuse that you said was blown?

Look at that fuse box diagram I gave you and tell me the location number of the fuse.

Not, if it's 20a, or 15a, they are just the amps of the fuse.

I suppose all is well now, because you never came back. Oh well, don't forget to rate me well once you see this. after all you had already made the deposit an I will not get any of it until I get a good rating for my answers.