Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1996Dodge ram pick up 2500magnum V10 running fine all day…

Customer Question
1996Dodge ram pick up 2500magnum...
1996Dodge ram pick up 2500magnum V10 running fine all day than started Running ruff. Miss fired. Than stopped running now won't turn over at all
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
1/6/2018
Dodge Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 month ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

The problem can be a loss of spark or fuel. You can check
for spark at the plugs with a spark tester. Check
compression too for a possible valve timing issue with a
compression gauge. You can check fuel pressure with a
gauge and all of these tools should be available to you at
your local parts store for rent or purchase. You need to
check for any stored codes in the computer with a
code reader or a scan tool. The code reader only gives the
codes and definitions, where the scan tool gives you all
the needed data to diagnose the codes.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There was alot of smoke coming from under the hood

Uh Oh, was there some wires burning?

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No wires burning i haven't even open the hood
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Smoke comeing from engine
Dodge Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

what does the smoke smell like? electrical? oil? plastic?

are you there?

Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are many possible causes for a no start condition and it's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is going on. If there was smoke or steam from under the hood directly before it died then that is almost surely related, whether it was from oil, coolant, or there was an electrical fire.

Have you had a chance to look for the source of the smoke?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08