Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 that i just bought and it has…

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 that i just bought and it has been sitting but the wheel wont turn to the right why would this be happening? could it be frozen or is it a bigger issue ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

It turns to the left just fine thats the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am we have a new ujoint to put in we litterally just bought it ysterday and its cold im wondering if its just frozen and possible the steering collom is blocked by something

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/6/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Have you tried to turn off the engine and jack up front end and see if you can manually turn wheels back and forth freely with engine off?

no we havent had a chance to even move it we just bought it

With engine off see if you can manually turn wheels to the right? If you can turn it then you have a bad power steering gearbox. (not the pump) The power control valve that directs flow left or right in steering gear is leaking internally and gearbox will need to be replaced.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

ok so if it does turn and the wheel doesnt what is the next possible problem

What are you saying? You turn the steering wheel and the front wheels do not turn?

thats why i think its just frozen cuz the wheel only turned a little bit

You will need to look to see if the steering shaft from steering column to the steering gear is moving when turning the steering wheel and if it is turning the steering gear? You may have a seized ball joint or steering damper shock. You will need to raise wheels and see if you can manually move tire back and forth.

ill be doing that after work tonight hopefully its only frozen

Ok let me know later if you have any more questions once you can lift the tires off the ground.

ok thank you very much