Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just put my horse trailer away and the trailer tow light…

Customer Question
I just put my...

I just put my horse trailer away and the trailer tow light with a slash thru it and an exclamation point came on the dash and the brake control. Felt like the brakes were sticking when I was backing up. So what's up and can I drive the truck until I can get it in to be checked?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No. We just replaced the battery on this truck,2010 Dodge Laramie 4x4 and this light did not come on until I was backing up the trailer. Codes were checked after the battery was installed and there were none.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Dodge?

Its a 2010 Dodge Laramie with 5.7 Hemi 4X4 with factory installed brake control.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The only thing I have done was to reduce the brake control down to zero and that changed nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/6/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, first try unplugging the integrated towing brake module for 1 minute and replug to see if it resets . I have attached directions to remove it - use those directions to access and unplugging and replugging its connector

If no difference. Try unplugging and leaving unplugged. You likely will lose brake lights and turn signals, but if it frees the brakes, you can drive it to a repair shop during light traffic time and using hand signals.

If no difference, it will need to be towed to a shop as driving it could burn up the rear brakes completely

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?