Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I plugged a diagnostic unit into my 1997 dodge ram 1500.

Customer Question
I plugged a diagnostic...

I plugged a diagnostic unit into my 1997 dodge ram 1500. Said misfiring issue. Runs but loses power going up hills. Bogs down no matter how much gas i give it. Is it the O2 sensor, or spark plug wires.... there is no backfiring.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Seems ok on the flats... Loses power / speed going uphills.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will fix it if I can. Still not sure what to do....first,, second.....

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
1/6/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 1 month ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to Just Answer myname is Mark.

More often than not misfire issues are caused by a breakdown in the ignition system.............namely spark plugs, coils, distributor caps and wires etc. If it has been awhile sincve this engine has had a full tune up, now would be the best time to do that.

Ignition system breakdowns aren't the only possible cause but by far the most common and easily solved. Other issues can include fuel issues such as low pressure, fuel quality or clogged injectors.

After that we start to look at the mechanical side of the engine such as compression and leakdown tests to check the integrity of the engine but we typically cover the basics first and if there is still a misfire concern after that, then we look at the mechanical condition of the engine itself.

I hope that helps, but if you need anything further just let me know. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But why does it happen when just going up hills?

Going uphill puts a much greater demand on the engine and more importantly the ignition system. In order to get you up the hill the ignition system is stressed and if there is any weakness in the system such as old worn out parts, then this is when it will fail and create the misfire.

Similar to when a doctor gives a heart patient a stress test, if there is something wrong, it will show up under stress.

Hope that helps.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician