Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2014 Ram 1500, 5.7l v8 hemi. It has been getting…

Customer Question
I have a 2014 Ram...
I have a 2014 Ram 1500, 5.7l v8 hemi. It has been getting harder and harder to start. When I turn the key often nothing happens and I have to turn it numerous times to get it to start. Truck battery is good, plenty of power. No clicking noises when I turn it, just silence. Key fob battery is good. It started out only happening occasionally, but now it happens pretty much all the time. And it is taking more and more turns of the key to get it started. I have autoengenuity and checked the codes. Until yesterday, it was not throwing any codes except U0011-00CAN Interior Bus off performance. I checked out that code in alldata and it didn't seem related to my issue. I am not a mechanic, but my thought was any problem but the ignition switch would throw a code, so I was going to order to new ignition switch (part no 68271986ac).But then yesterday the key fob stopped working. Now I have the following codes being thrown: B1a08 FOB Performance, and B1a25, Invalid Key. But during the two weeks I was having these starting problems those codes were not present. I do not have another functioning fob to try. Could this issue also be related to the ignition switch? If I replace the ignition switch, am I going to have to take it to the dealership and get it reprogrammed?I am trying to avoid the dealership for cost reasons, because I like doing it myself, and because they take too long. Can't be without my truck that long. Thanks!-Jason
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
When I said the fob stopped working, what I meant was it stopped locking and unlocking the doors. It will still start the truck if I turn it enough times. I should say that when it stopped working yesterday, I tried it again later that night and it worked. But it hasn't worked at all today.
1/5/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you own a volt meter or test light?

Is the theft light on or flashing with the key in the run position during this issue?

I have both, but I am at the office now and can't use them. No, the theft light is not on or flashing.

Would you like me to give you some tests for you to do later then you respond?

That would be great. Thanks!
Do you think those two issues could be related or probably not?

Here is the starting circuit. https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1m35xms18d6cd4/57start.pdf?dl=0

Confirm at the starter both wires are connected firm and clean. Confirm the large wire has battery voltage near 12.6 volts. When trying to start with the key verify the small wire has power. If it does and the starter has not engaged and spun then the starter is to blame. If the little wire is not powering up, let me know.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I need an extra fob anyway, so was going to get one. Is that worth a try first? My understanding is that a fob issue would not cause the truck not to start. Is that right?

The fob concern will not cause a no start.

Ok, I'll do the tests you suggest tonight. Also, I wonder if my autoengenuity can give me the starter readings you need

Scan tools can not diagnose cranking concerns.

I just went out to make sure that the theft light was not on or flashing, and it wasn't. But when I put the key in and turn it, nothing happens. Nothing lights up in the instrument panel. I keep trying it until it finally does light up and then it will start. So I don't think it's a starter issue. Got to be the ignition switch or some other electronic component.

Monitor fuse 88 under the hood. Key on and instrument cluster not powered up. Does this fuse have no power or is it powered?

How do you tell? With the fuse in, where do I put the probe?

You can remove the fuse and test the pin holes or use the test pins on the top of the fuse.

Fuse 88 has power with the key on. But it also has power with they key off. And I guess I should clarify that the whole instrument cluster is not out, it's just that the parts of it that usually light up when you put the key in and turn it do not come on. It's like not recognizing the key. So it has to be the ignition switch or a control module, right? I am going to take the panel off and test the ignition switch later today, unless you have another idea.

Best I can tell from the wire diagrams, this is going to be the BCM to blame.

But wouldn't the BCM throw a code in that case?
Don't know if this helps, but after I get it started, if I turn the key off and then turn it back on pretty quickly it'll start time and time again. However if I wait a few seconds, then I'll have problems starting it again.

I have offered all I have on this one. I will opt out and let another help you.

Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If you're setting an invalid key code that's why it isn't starting. You either have a bad key or a bad wireless ignition node. A bad WIN will often cause a no crank condition because it doesn't report that you've turned the key to the crank position. If you have another key see if that one works reliably, if so then the key setting the code needs to be replaced. Either way, if the WIN or keys need to be replaced it will require a dealer scan tool and the vehicle's PIN obtained from Chrysler for programming.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Can a fob go bad? The battery is good. And no I don't have another fob to test with. Is there another way to tell whether it's the fob or the WIN? Could I test the WIN with a voltmeter to see whether it's good or bad?

Yes, keys fail.

The only testing that can be done will require a scan tool.

I have one. Autoengenuity. See fault codes in previous messages. It threw a third code recently that I haven't mentioned yet related to the fob, B1a35 unidentified key communication error.

I'm quite sure the fob will need to be replaced.

the WIN module too, or the key instead of the WIN module? I don't know if you read all of the back and forth above, but the starting problem started a week or so before the FOB stopped working and it started throwing codes. Initially, there were no codes. I just had to turn the key many times to get it to start. I guess I'm going to take it in since even if I replaced it it would have to be reprogrammed, so we'll see what they say. But I'd like to know beforehand what the problem is.

You may have more than one problem, the key fault codes may not be related to the lack of starter engagement if the issues are happening at separate times.

Could a bad key fob cause my starting problems yet not throw any codes? If so, maybe I should get my extra key fob programmed first to see if it solves the problems. I have one, just have never gotten it programmed.

A bad fob will set a code, as you've found on your truck. If you already have a replacement I would recommend having it programmed and see if that takes care of all the problems.

Ok, I'll try that before I take it in. However since I had a starting problem a week before any codes were thrown, I'm not sure that's it. But I'll try and see.