Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

DODGE RAM 1500 INTERMITTENT TALL. This is a difficult one…

Customer Question
DODGE RAM 1500 INTERMITTENT...

DODGE RAM 1500 INTERMITTENT TALL

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

This is a difficult one

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
2003 4.7l dodge ram 1500. stalls intermittently and when it does all power is lost. instruments shut down and tranny indicator shows no gear. will start again only if I toggle ignition switch to off then on again
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I am a retired mechanic. I have checked all the basics that I can think of. I changed the crank sensor and it worked good for 15 miles before it did it again. now it is doing regularly again
sets no codes because it keeps clearing the computer, also never had a check engine light
1/3/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 7 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. So are you saying that after it shuts down it resets the PCM? (engine computer)?

Chris

it seems to shut down everything. it is random, I can drive it and it will just shut down. the instruments all go to zero. the speedo goes to zero. then I have to toggle ignition switch to off and it will restart. the weird part is the little square in the tranny indicator disappears until I reset by toggling ignition switch

Ok, I am a shop foreman at a Dodge/Ram dealer and have seen this many times before. It is the PCM that is shutting down internally. When this happens, the gauges and PRNDL go dead because the instrument cluster gets the messages for the gauges and PRNDL from the PCM.. Replace the PCM. I am 99.9% that will fix it.

Chris

is there any way I can confirm this. I hate to throw parts at it
does this pcm need to be programmed when replaced

Yes. Using a scan tool that will read I/M OBD readiness monitors will confirm this. If the readiness monitors reset to "incomplete" or "not ready" after a stall, then that is pretty much proof that the PCM glitched internally. Some inexpensive code readers may show that data also.

Chris

will it need programming???

Depends. If you get one from the dealer then yes it will need programming. If you order one from your auto parts store and provide them with the truck's VIN number, then it can be pre programmed for you. Then you simply install it.

Chris

ok, thanx. I will give it a try

You are welcome!

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris