Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Poor heat with new thermostat,radiator has been flushed.

Customer Question
Poor heat with new...

Poor heat with new thermostat,radiator has been flushed. Heater core has a nice volumn of water thru it also.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle overheated in the past? And what about servicing? Is it up-to-date on oil changes?

No overheating issues. oil changed at regular intervals.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

1996.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We do our own common maintenance as we are an auto body shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Anti freeze is fresh after flush. we have done these maintenance items over a year ago. Heating improved but is still not HOT. But it is also @ 5degrees on average in Michigan this season. Antifreeze appears as new/fresh. mixed properly

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/3/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician

Hello,I am Randall what model and engine?

2500 v10

Thnks, does the temp change at least a little when you use the dash temp setting? or does it blow same temp all the time no matter where the temp setting is?

I will check that . Leaving my shop for home right now and will contact you again tomorrow. Thanks

No problem, I will be back online early tomorrow and on/off all day. eastern time. LMk thanks

I selected different heat ranges on control knob and could not feel any difference. I do notice that the heat will increase significantly upon that initial acceleration but when reaching highway speeds the heat seems to go away. Then the opposite will happen when slowing the vehicle speed and coming to a stop and then blows quite cooler while sitting still.

Have you felt BOTH heater hoses at the firewall with engine at full temp and running? I need to know what BOTH feel like by hand and temp/

sorry it took this long to get back with you. Upper hose to heater core is hotter than lower hose by 38 degrees using a temp sensor gun. Currently -5 degree outside. After 1/2 of driving around small town this morning at lower speeds it will eventually improve up to a good warm but not HOT.

Me too, I have had the snow storm etc and lost internet. Did you get to the bottom of this or do we keep moving forward? I am online for a little while longer this evening but online most all day tomorrow

yesterday and today is 20/35 and the heat works satisfactory. wen changing the control knob from hot to cooler the change is hard to notice and I can hear the blend door open and close. Upper line to heater core is hotter than lower.