Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I just installed a new battery in my 2011 Dodge Ram 1500…

Customer Question
I just installed a new...
I just installed a new battery in my 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn. Put the key in the ignition and everything went dead. It acts like a dead battery but the battery tests out at 12.6 volts.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
1/3/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Technician replied 1 month ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician

Hello, I am Randall, Can you go to the alternator, check for what voltage you have on the big wire hooked to alternator?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Randall - The truck is outside at 7 degrees and I don't have ability tonight to remove the plastic hood covering the alternator to take a voltage reading. Don't understand why there is no voltage to any of the electronics.

I can not guess and need tests done , Sorry I can not help, I will opt out and open the post back up to the other experts

Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 1 month ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
New expert here.
May I ask how old the battery is?
Can you try a jump start and see if that helps, please.
Let me know the result. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Brand new battery...reads out st 12.6 volts
Thanks the reply.
When you replaced the battery, was it for this particular reason?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The battery I removed was the original one when I bought the vehicle new. It barely started the vehicle this morning. All the the electronics were working fine prior to replacing the battery.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, so this still seems to be a battery issue or a connection issue. Are the terminals clean and tight? No corrosion or plastic covering the battery terminals or cable ends?

Are you willing to try the jump start to see if that helps?

I've seen many batteries that can read 12 volts just sitting there but when there is an electrical load placed on them the voltage plummets.........and yes, even new batteries.

If everything was working fine before the battery was changed we have to keep it simple and look at the battery and its connections because that is the only thing that changed, apparently.

Let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried jump starting the Ram. When I hooked up the cables all the electronics worked. Left it hooked up for 10 minutes but still not enough cranking power to turn the motor over. Will return the battery to auto zone for a new one tomorrow. You would hope a $200 battery would work. Thanks for ypur help.

Your very welcome.

As with anything mass produced, there are always duds. least you know what is going on now.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician