Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Trying to change the water pump cannot get the fan clutch…

Trying to change the...

Trying to change the water pump cannot get the fan clutch loose have the tool and the wrench am I going the wrong way ? Counter clockwise facing the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Dodge. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I have tried leverage and tapping no luck I have the wrench and the tool that hold the pulley

1/1/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

It has a left hand thread which means it should be turned clockwise to remove. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't figure why I can't get the bolt to break
Should I be going clock wise to loosen ?

Yes it is a left hand thread so you need to be going clockwise facing the engine to loosen it. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm thinking I'm just not strong enough
Will penetrating oil do anything to help now that I'm going in the right direction ?
Any other tips on this
Seem like not so hard once I get the fan off ff

Get a long pipe to put over wrench to get more leverage, penetrating oil will not help and leverage is going to be the key. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Dan. Leverage was the key.
The bad pump was bad and there was a lot of play in it. Wound up putting vice grips on the flywheel just to lock it down.
Once it broke loose the rest was pretty easy . Just working on the truck on new years day in the cold was pretty tough .
Thanks for your help .

Good to hear you got it replaced, I live in Minnesota so I know all about working in the cold. Thanks for update.

Dan, Technician