Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Check engine light on 1987 dodge raider- new engine

Customer Question
Check engine light on...

Check engine light on 1987 dodge raider- new engine installed nov. llight was on before. How do you reset it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on. Runs super didn’t reset when engine installed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Raider yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I guess the didn’t know how ? I guess I’ll take to Landers Dodge - just thought might be a. Simple fix?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No- looks new And runs super! Light just buds me !

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
12/31/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 month ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, within 5 seconds, turn the key in the ignition on-off-on-off-on, leaving it in the on position(on position is position just before cranking).

Look at the check engine light and it should flash on and off. count the flashes, followed by a pause, followed by the flashes until it repeats it self.

Let me know the number of flashes between each pause

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried twice all lights came nothing flashing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you can’t get it off - do I still owe?

HI,

Hmmm, that is the only way I know to retrieve the codes manually on the older Dodge with obd1 computers. Let me opt out and see if another expert knows of an alternate method

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thanks
Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago
eric remington

I​f you don't get a code 55 you probably have a bad ecm. code 55 is an acknowledgement that ecm is working...so if you don't have that then we need to ck fuses and powers and ground inputs to ecm...do you need help with that? different Eric expert here

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

If you need schematic I can acquire one for you....but if you have no 55 then its ecm time provided all inputs powers and grounds are good....questions?

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

code 55 should be obtained when you cycle the 3 time on and off with key manual code mode check.....

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

or is that manual mode code check....either way....no 55 probable bad ecm

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

there are obd 1 sc anners that can access these computers find an older tech like myself and they can hook it up and see if the thing is dead or what the issue is....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, I’ll run it Dodge dealer and let them check it.
Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

I​f battery disconnect didn't help scanning it would be good idea

eric remington
eric remington
eric remington