Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

P1765,p0753,p0743i have a dodge dakota sport. 1998. Change…

Customer Question
P1765,p0753,p0743i have a dodge...

P1765,p0753,p0743i have a dodge dakota sport

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Dakota?

1998

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Change out tps sensor, and outside of tranny sensor. truck loses power while driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Fluctuate

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats about all my problems atm.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
12/31/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Davenport,
 replied 1 month ago
Joshua Davenport

Hello, Im Josh

Lets see if we can get your problems solved?

First of all, what size engine does your 98 dakota have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5.2
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Davenport,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok, with the codes your are giving me, This looks to be a PCM problem. Do the codes only come back when the truck loses power?

Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Davenport,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok. Are all the fuses ok? If so, lets swap the transmission relay with another one like it. If the problem still exist than you need to check the PCM wiring harness for rubbed through wires or damage. If everything checks out, then the PCM will need to replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have tried that at first but didnt check wires on pcm.
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Davenport,
 replied 1 month ago

Has the PCM been replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wires on pcm looks good still in plastic wraping and none looks damaged
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no i havnt changed pcm
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Davenport,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok. The next step will be to perform a signal pin out test on the pcm. This checks for power and grounds as well as input and output signals. I can walk you through the power and ground portions of the check, but when it comes to the input and outputs it gets much harder and will require a lab scope to obtain waveforms.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. i dont have a lab scope. these test are to just see if pcm is working properly correct?
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Davenport,
 replied 1 month ago

Correct. You can also swap in a known good PCM if one is available.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
dont have 1. i have another dodge but its a 5.9l and numbers dont match other pcm. could i pull that and check with out damage other fr 5.9? if not then how do i run the easier test
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Davenport,
 replied 1 month ago

I would not try the other PCM. Since this is an intermittent problem try this. Make sure all fuses are good, make sure the codes are cleared, wiggle and shake the PCM wiring harness with the key on. If the codes return, you have a connection or wire problem. If the codes do not return then the PCM is most likely the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no codes came after shaking it
Jerry, Master Mechanic