Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Brakes not workingvery. just had new master cylinder, new…

Customer Question
Brakes not workingvery...

Brakes not workingvery . just had new master cylinder, new calipers, new rotors, new back brakes, turned drums

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried "bleeding the brakes" to get any air out of the line?

Brakes bleed three times. ABS will not kick in when full pressure applied to peddle

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4WD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nope, mechanic did all the work. wil be going back. Proportioning valve checked, all appears ok

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
12/29/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does the ABS engage when braking on a slippery road surface or when the brakes lock up?

Let me know, thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got them to engage one time when going downhill after that I've tried 7 times on a flat surface pushing the pedal as hard as I can and ABS will not engage

O.k., this sounds like a fault with the anti-lock brake hydraulic unit.One of the valves may be stuck open or the pump in it may be faulty.This will cause the nonworking brake feel as well as the abs from activating when it should.The other cause can be the electronic brake control module that operates the anti-lock brake hydraulic unit but in most cases, it is the hydraulic unit itself at fault.

With all that has been done already and with what you have described here I would have this checked further to see if this is the cause of it needing to be replaced as it sounds like it needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Pete, Auto Service Technician