Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Parking brake issues. Push pedal on 2008 appears to release,

Customer Question
Parking brake issues Mechanic's...

Parking brake issues

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

Push pedal on 2008 appears to release, but brake clearly by feel is still on. No light on. 2008

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Dodge?

Yes, and it was working fine yesterday before the extreme cold.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have no real tools to attempt it myself. I have tried letting it warm up and pumping the regular brake as well as easing forward and back and driving for 1000 yds

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is tight enough that it will not move without gas whereas normally putting it in reverse on flat road it would move What mechanic would you be connecting me to?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/28/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics replied 6 months ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics

What Model Dodge?
2, 4 or All Wheel Drive?
Do you live in cold weather (snow, ice, etc)
Have you tried Forward & Reverse a number of times?

Dodge Grand Caravan 2008***** in VA, cold snap last night, yes I tried forward and reverse a number of times which did not help. Digging deeper, I found out that theoretically the brake resets when braking in reverse. I tried that and it seems to have cleared the problem. There is not any way I know of to be certain other than idling in gear and see if the car will move forward or back as it would normally, and it seems to have returned to that state somewhat. Thanks.

Great..glad you have it moving......
Problem with these Brakes is moisture in cold climates
I have a 2009 that would do this whenever freezing rain would come at a certain angle while the Van was parked, but forward / reverse would eventually break it loose.
Especially if new brakes were installed, as there is not a very big gap between the Rotor & Pads

.

Thank you for using J/A

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.

Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.