Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

4.7 Dodge Ram, timing chain broke. How do tell if the valve…

Customer Question
4.7 Dodge Ram, timing chain...
4.7 Dodge Ram, timing chain broke. How do tell if the valve are bent , do I have to remove them? Also does it matter which position I put the cam back on I forgot to mark position. There's pitting on the head on one piston would do you think it will hurt anything ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/26/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If the chain broke with the engine running then it's very possible you have valve damage.The valves in the 4.7L engine can contact the pistons if the cam timing is off more than a few teeth which is most likely if the chain broke. Do you have the heads off?

I attached a pic of the head with the pitting

Okay because the chain broke you would be wise to send the heads to the machine shop and have them check them for valve damage as its very likely and that needs to be resolved before you reinstall them. From looking at your pictures it looks very likely they need work. When you do install them the cams do need to be lined up and the #1 cylinder needs to be at TDC. See the alignment diagram in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7pe63a6b8lyd5p/chain%20alignment%20Dec%2026.pdf?dl=0

As for the position being pitted, as long as it's not burned through the top of the piston you should be fine with no problem due to this.

I'm trying to same cash man so all this is diy. Would the pitting affect anything it has to be there before as the gaskets weren't damaged. How would I check the valves.
Save *

No, the pitting is okay, it will not hurt anything. One way to see if the valve are seating would be to rotate the cam on each cylinder location on the head so both valves are closed and then pour some solvent in the ports. If it's sealing no solvent will leak out. If it leaks solvent with both valve closed then there not seating and likely bent.

doing the leak down test , I have one cylinder that will hold and then a very small amount will come out . What could I do to resolve the problem ? Valve meeting points looks good

You should remove the valve and see if its bent and it it is not then trying lapping the valve and the seat to see if it will seal.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.