Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Whats the most likely cause of gas spilling out of the tank…

Customer Question
Whats the most likely...

Whats the most likely cause of gas spilling out of the tank and onto the ground when filling the tank to the top. the vehicle troble light is in on ans toring codes PO442 and PO 455

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Check engine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing, I just bought the truck which has 44,000 original miles

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/26/2017
Dodge Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thank you for visiting the site. Please allow me a few minutes to review your question.

ok, the very first thing that needs to be done is a smoke test of the evap system to determine where the leaks are. you have a medium and large leak in 2 different places and this will cause the pressure sensor and shutoff valve to fail

are you there?

Ok what makes you think the leak is in two different places? My limited understanding is that any leak in the evaporative system that will work against the vacuum created by the leak detection pump will cause the light to go on. So obviously the leak is big enough to spill gas whenever the tank is filled to the top. But two places?
ok so please give me your thoughts as to the two leak question

if it was only in one place then you would have only 1 code. once a leak code is set, it will tell you either its a small large or medium leak. not a combination.

you either have a leak and a component malfunction or 2 leaks on different lines/hoses.

one other detail. The code was reset on Saturday. The truck was then filled with gasoline. First overflow. I thought nothing of it other than the gas pump might have malfunctioned. I put close to 400 miles on the truck and the light did not come on again until the tank was almost empty. Then when i refilled with gas without using an automatic shut off at the pump it spilled gas again. Not from up on the filler neck but from somewhere under the truck near the tank.

then you either have a saturated vapor canister or a hole in the tank which would not let any pressure build up, causing the pressure sensor to fail

hows it going?

do you still need assistance?