Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My daughter has a 1999 Dodge Stratus and it stalls while…

Customer Question
My daughter has a...

My daughter has a 1999 Dodge Stratus and it stalls while driving. The alternator has been tested and is good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

No the check engine light does not come on but the Battery light does. It stalls while driving and idleing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Stratus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Checked Alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How much are you going to charge?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/25/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 7 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Do you have access to a multimeter or voltmeter to run some electrical tests?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Yeah but the battery is out of the car being charged.

We will need to do the testing once you have the battery reinstalled in the vehicle.

Post a reply here when the battery is back in the vehicle and we can continue at that time.

Also, If you can post the last 8 digits of the VIN, it will help me obtain correct electrical diagnostic information for your vehicle...

Thank you,

Robert

Ok it s in .I turn the key and I can hear the fuel pump.
Are you there?

I'm here.

Since the battery light is coming on, I am actually suspecting that the charging system is not charging the battery even though the alternator tested good. This may be caused by a wiring issue or a failed PCM...

Does the engine start and run normally after the battery is charged? For how long will it run before it begins stalling out?

it runs normally and stalls about in 10 minutes but now that the battery is charged it may last until the battery drains.

Ok, now start the engine and let it idle. Using your multimeter, test the voltage directly at the battery with the engine idling. Post back the results...

Sorry multimeter battery was dead. Got a new one now. Is it supposed to be on ACV or DCV?
Nevermind it is showing 12.5 on 200 DCV.

Ok, Charging system is not charging the battery. Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you? I need to get the correct wiring diagrams to help you run some tests...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

xn642198

Can you get to the back side of the alternator to check the output at the charging terminal at the back of the alternator? We need to check voltage at the alternator charging output terminal with engine running. Post back the results. Let me know if you are not able to access the back of the alternator.

40 ?
did I lose you?

Sorry, Stepped away for a bit to have our Christmas meal...

What is the 40? referring to??

This should not be the voltage (DC) that is at the alternator output Terminal, It should be no more than 18 volts...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Ok getting g late. Thanks for your response and help. I will continue tomorrow

Sounds good.

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

No problem.

.

The alternator was putting out over 15v and tested (after a third time) bad. I replaced it and no voltage to battery. Turned out that the fusablelink (One of the thick wires connected to the positive battery post in the engine compartment) was bad (broken). We spliced it and soldered it back together and voila! It even has a distinctive hummmmm.

Hi.

This is exactly where I was leading to. If the alternator was putting out 15 volts, the alternator was definitely NOT bad... Testing output at back of the alternator at 15 volts and none of this voltage getting to the battery will tell me that your next test would have been to check the fusible link. Low output at the battery can be definitely caused by a burned fusible link.

Glad you got it solved...

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.