Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Tore the wire before the connector on my active head

Customer Question
Tore the wire before...

Tore the wire before the connector on my active head restraint while trying to remove the headrest. Wondering how much this is to repair? Hoping I don’t need to replace the entire AHR.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Dodge. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Airbag light is on of course but restraint was not deployed.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/25/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 4 months ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Welcome to JA my name is***** the wire break right at the connector or is there part of it so that the 2 halves could be reconnected? If you could post a pic that would be even better. Thanks.

Thanks for the pics. Ok, there isn't much there to be able to simply splice them back together. What could be done is the connector could just be removed entirely and splice the wires together.

Since this is a safety system, there is only one approved method of doing wiring repairs on the airbag systems and your dealer will have the tools and knowledge to do this repair.

Alternatively, the wire harness in the seat can be replaced and then you would maintain the ability to unplug the headrest in the future, if needed.

I hope that helps, but if you need anything further just let me know.

Thanks.

replacing the wire harness wouldn’t mean spending too much $$, correct? I was reading some blogs where it costs someone $900 to fix an issue.

That is correct. This type of repair wouldn't break the bank.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician