Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I havE a Dodge Journey 2014 - when running engine give a…

Customer Question
I havE a Dodge...

I havE a Dodge Journey 2014 - when running engine give a "bump" on acceleration and even at idle

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

Have not checked fuel filters- transmission fluid levels good and so is temperature. Had oil change in November. Mileage is 46500.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I usually take it to the dealer. The problem happened about a couple of hours after buying gas at WaWa. I am thinking it's bad gas so I added HEET

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

3.6l V6 engine not 4wl drive

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/25/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 7 months ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Can you elaborate a little on what you call a "bump" with the engine running?

Have any warning lights turned on the dash?

Ill await your reply, thanks.

Hi there are no warning lights. Oil pressure starts at 86psi when car is cold and drops down to about 30. Once car is warm pressure can be 18psi. Not sure if that's ok
We can chat online
What I mean by a bump is like a jerking motion when accelerating. I haven't gone faster than 45 mph
It has not stalled. I added Sunoco regular gas when I added the HEET.

Thanks for your reply. The oil pressure numbers seem to be ok.

Ok, so this bump.........is it a single time sort of thing or is it like bump bump bump while accelerating?

It is repetative. I consistently did it while driving today
Still there?
The car starts fine no stalling

Thanks.

Ok, what I think you"re feeling is an intermittent engine misfire. This can be caused by a worn spark plug or a failing ignition coi. Each spark plug has its own coil so there is six of them.

The engine computer is designed to detect these misfires and turn on your check engine light, but certain conditions have to be met before the light comes on. If this just started, then the conditions aren't right for the light to come on just yet.

Slow typer......lol

............but it sounds like you will need to address your ignition system by replacing the spark plugs, and or coils.

Do you thing the product HEET and better gas can help? Or is that only for fuel injectors?

No, those things help the fuel system, but not the ignition system. When the ignition system starts to breakdown it is time for replacement parts.

I hope that helps.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks.

Ok that helps thanks.

You're very welcome. Happy Holidays!