Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Transmission whines, then the over heated light comes on and…

Customer Question
Transmission whines, then the...

Transmission whines, then the over heated light comes on and I lose power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

I've changed trans fluid and filters approx. two years ago. Coolant seems fine. I let the car set about 10 minutes and it seems to be OK. Could the filters be dirty?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Dodge?

2008 SXT the temp gauge does not go past half way. My son wants to put a trans cooler on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not yet, own a fleet of trucks. Changed oil filters, trans fluid and filters, does not happen all the time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was this a re-call problem and does it happen often? Could it be the coolant is just old?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/23/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 2 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi how can I help you with this? what is your question specifically?

Why does the transmission over heat every once in awhile?

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

there are quite a few things that can cause a transmission to overhead

most common would be simple low fluid

next would be an internal fluid leak or blockage preventing proper circulation

it could also be the vehicle staying in too low a gear (although this would be obvious in high rpms)

it could also be the transmission fluid pump starting to fail

there is definitely a problem - fitting an external trans cooler is not something that is required, so this would be a band aid fix to some other underlying issue that is causing the overheat in the first place, so I would not advise fitting a cooler

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert