Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Yesterday when I was driving, I have a 2005 jeep grand

Customer Question
Yesterday when I was...

Yesterday when I was driving, I have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee 5.7l hemi, something didn't feel right, when I would break I would hear a sound almost like it's winding down, i also noticed a small amount of white smoke, I turned my car off and checked under the hood the front of the engine was a little wet, I smelled it and there was no smell coming from it or the smoke. When I went to restart it the best way I can describe it was it kicked when it started it on the way home nothing had gotten worse. The next morning(only a few hours later) I went to go start my car, I don't remember there being a kick but almost immediately smoke and an awful plastic like burning smell came from the middle center column where the gear shifter is at. I turned it off right away and haven't started it again since because I don't want to cause anymore damage

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The transmission is the original, not sure what the brake switch is?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet this just happened, if it's something easy I will do it myself as I don't have a lot of money for repairs if I can't then I will have to take it in

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of right now

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/23/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Was there moisture in the air or rain when you saw smoke or steam from the wet area under the hood?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

No it was dry out, really cold but dry.
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago

I have seen ignition switch wiring as well as the switch short out in some cases causing this type of issue here needs to be replaced.I have also seen wiring that runs under or near the center column leading to the gear shifter components or other components cause this issue as well here.

Unfortunately what will need to be done is to inspect the wiring and electrical components in the column area where you saw the smoke coming from to then locate which component is burned or damaged needing to be repaired or replaced.Since there are several electronics that can act up and can cause this fault here this has to be done to help locate and repair this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?