Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I found your site while looking for wiring diagrams. I have…

Customer Question
I found your site...

I found your site while looking for wiring diagrams. I have a current draw on my truck, been working on it for 2 weeks

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual?

Yes, and shop manual, Im thinking its the instrument cluster, everything works on it but its fuse 51, and the white connector on the back of the instrument cluster that stops the current draw.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '51 Dodge?

2003 dodge ram 1500 3.6 v6 2wd,

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The battery is a year old, I bought a new alternator, the old one charged but the bearing sounded bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also replaced some light bulbs in the instrument cluster.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
I recently did the instrument cluster reset, from the link someone posted on this site. I didn't get any codes but the check engine light flashed. That light has been on for a while due to an oxygen sensor. The blue connector under the fuse box stops the current draw when I disconnect it, same with the white connector on the instrument panel. Fuse 51 also stops the current draw. I don't have an under hood light and already checked the stock radio, no draw there.
12/23/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 6 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Do you need or would you like a wiring diagram of the circuit for fuse 51?

I have one in the shop manual but it's not detailed enough.

I can certainly send you what I have.

May I start by getting your VIN?

I don't have that here.

Ok no worries.

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

No, I didn't put in a phone number.

There will be a spot to put in your number now

Is this a 3.7 liter engine by chance?

3.7 v6, Im thinking is the instrument cluster. In 2003 Dodge used lead free solder,

Hello and sorry for the delay! Fuse 51 is the IOD fuse. I have attached some information about this circuit as well as the wiring diagram for this circuit below.

DESCRIPTION

All vehicles are equipped with an Ignition-Off Draw (IOD) fuse that is disconnected from the Integrated Power Module when the vehicle is shipped from the factory. Dealer personnel are to reconnect the IOD fuse in the Integrated Power Module as part of the preparation procedures performed just prior to new vehicle delivery.

A laser printed fuse layout map is integral to the Integrated Power Module cover to ensure proper fuse identification. The IOD fuse is a 20-ampere mini blade-type fuse, located in fuse cavity # 51 ( IOD FUSE LOCATION ). The fuse is secured within a black molded plastic fuse holder and puller unit that serves both as a tool for disconnecting and reconnecting the fuse in its Integrated Power Module cavity, and as a fuse holder that conveniently stores the fuse in the same Integrated Power Module cavity after it has been disconnected.

CIRCUITS INCLUDED WITH IOD FUSE

Cluster (CCN)
Diagnostic Connector
Map Lamps
Glove Box Lamp
Courtesy Lamps
Radio
Underhood Lamp

OPERATION

The term ignition-off draw identifies a normal condition where power is being drained from the battery with the ignition switch in the Off position. The IOD fuse feeds the memory and sleep mode functions for some of the electronic modules in the vehicle as well as various other accessories that require battery current when the ignition switch is in the Off position. The only reason the IOD fuse is disconnected is to reduce the normal IOD of the vehicle electrical system during new vehicle transportation and pre-delivery storage to reduce battery depletion, while still allowing vehicle operation so that the vehicle can be loaded, unloaded and moved as needed by both vehicle transportation company and dealer personnel.

The IOD fuse is disconnected from Integrated Power Module fuse cavity # 51 when the vehicle is shipped from the assembly plant. Dealer personnel must reconnect the IOD fuse when the vehicle is being prepared for delivery in order to restore full electrical system operation. Once the vehicle is prepared for delivery, the IOD function of this fuse becomes transparent and the fuse that has been assigned the IOD designation becomes only another Fused B(+) circuit fuse.

The IOD fuse can be used by the vehicle owner as a convenient means of reducing battery depletion when a vehicle is to be stored for periods not to exceed about thirty days. However, it must be remembered that disconnecting the IOD fuse will not eliminate IOD, but only reduce this normal condition. If a vehicle will be stored for more than about thirty days, the battery negative cable should be disconnected to eliminate normal IOD; and, the battery should be tested and recharged at regular intervals during the vehicle storage period to prevent the battery from becoming discharged or damaged.

I hope this helps! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you for the information. I already know what fuse 51 is. I wanted to know why it is drawing 1 to .9 amps when is should only be drawing a small amount when the engine is off.
I don't understand the sentence "the IOD function of this fuse becomes transparent and the fuse that has been assigned the IOD designation becomes only another Fused B(+) circuit fuse"

Hello and sorry for the delay!

Something on that circuit is staying powered up. That is why it is drawing too much current.