Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2014 dodge caravan gps will not load up. it just hangs on…

Customer Question
My 2014 dodge caravan...

My 2014 dodge caravan gps will not load up. it just hangs on the "Guidance by Garmin" screen

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

My caravan is out of warranty. so I would like to try to fix it myself

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/23/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 7 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

DR639175
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 6 months ago

It appears that there may be a software update available for your radio and nav system. You can perform this update yourself, all you will need is a usb memory stick of at least 2gb. I am posting a link to the update files that you will need to perform the updates. I will also post the technical service bulletin pertaining to the update and an instruction sheet for performing the updates.

Here is a copy of the instruction sheet --->> Click Here to view <<---

Service Bulletin --->> Click Here to view <<---

Here is a link to the software update files --->> Click to download <<--- ZIP file

What you will do with this file is extract the file to a folder of your choice. There will be two files in there that are executable, you will click the link on the larger file first, these are self extracting executables, you will point the extraction of the files to the location of your blank usb drive. Perform the update using this file first then format your usb stick and extract the smaller of the two files and perform the update again. If your radio version is higher than the ones on the usb stick, the radio will not need to be updated. IF this is the case and the nav still is inoperative, either because your version is newer or after the update you will have no choice but to REPLACE the radio assembly...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

Thanks for steps. I'm currently not in town. I'll work on this when I get back and let you know whether it helped. Thanks!
I just read through the instructions. The link to the instruction sheet is on how to remove a fender.

Sorry about that, --->> Click Here to view <<---

This link should work for you, Sorry about the incorrect link...

Thank you,

Robert

Sorry, Robert for the delay. I just got back home today. I followed the instructions and when I inserted the USB in the unit, it says that there are no files. I extracted the larger file and that is the only file no the USB. What should I do now?

When you open the usb drive on your computer, how many files and folders are in there? multiple files and folders or just the one that was downloaded??

Just the one file that was extracted.

Ok, then you didn't extract properly. What you must do at this point is take that file and move it to a folder of your choice back on the computer. Format the USB drive so that it is absolutely blank and remember the drive letter for your usb stick. Once this is done, you will double click on that file that you copied back to your computer. This file is a "Self Extracting" compressed file. Once the popup appears, click the browse button and point the extraction to the drive letter of your usb stick. Once the extraction completes, view the files in the usb stick. Make sure there are multiple files and folders in there. If you see this, you have extracted the file properly, at this point you can insert the usb stick into your media port on the vehicle and see if it updates. Also, be sure to update the radio first using the correct file then perform the nav update afterwards.. I am posting a link showing the extraction process from the point of having the executable file on your desktop... Click Here

Let me know if you get stuck..

Thank you,

Robert

This is very weird. I did as you and there is only one folder, "Garmin" and in that folder there is only one file "gupdate.gcd". And I don't see any hidden files either.

That should work for the Garmin update, but I recommend to run the Radio Update first. This is the Other executable file that is in the zip file I posted for you. If you have a second Usb stick, do this same procedure for this update and run that one first, then try the garmin one to see if it works...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I extracted the other zip file and there were multiple folders and files. But the system said that there were no files on the usb when I plugged it in. Is there something special I need to press after plugging it in?

No, it should automatically come up.

let me do a bit more research on this.

Is it possible for you to check the version number of your radio software? Just go into settings on the radio and under system information you should find the software version number. Post that here and we can go from there...

Thank you,

Robert

When you insert the USB Stick, are you inserting it in the USB port on front of the radio? Also, the radio must be on radio tuner and NOT USB media when inserting the usb stick. It is usually best to start the vehicle with the unit on am or fm radio, then insert the usb stick, after a few seconds, the update prompt should come up on it's own...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I've been using the front USB. I followed the instructions and nothing happens.

Did you format the USB stick to be sure it was blank before adding the files there?

I think the problem may be with the usb stick, try using another one if possible, make sure it is at least a 4gb stick. I've had issues with some vehicles and some brand of usb stick especially the cruzer usb drives that present themselves as a hard drive on your "my computer" screen. The drive must present itself as a "removable drive" on the computer for it to work properly in the car...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert