Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel w the big Hemi engine.

Customer Question
Hi Chris. I have...

Hi Chris. I have a 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel w the big Hemi engine. Other than this electrical issue, I love this rig and it’s my 2nd! I’ve had it 16 mos. I have had some of the issues reported online about cranking over, but not wanting to start occasionally....maybe 5 times in 16 mos. I was told my remote fob battery was weak, have replaced 4 times and each time problem would go away for a few months. Last night it did it again. Gave up, came back this morning and it fired right up....but all the sensors are now showing warnings! Reset twice, took to my brother’s (non-Dodge) dealership. They said bad battery. Replaced battery, reset all sensors 2-3 times and still they are all showing as warnings! Vehicle runs just fine...engine fan runs Continuously eventhough its 30 degrees here in Portland! Haven’t spoken with dealership yet. All the online complaints about similar issues are pre 2016... Thoughts??

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

It was original batter, but I just spent $200 replacing it today and still same issues...

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

Did you not read my message? I took it to my brother’s dealership where I bought the car. Gladstone Mitsubishi

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of ...

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/22/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 2 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, and welcome to just answer! So when the problem happens, it just cranks cranks cranks cranks cranks but no fire correct?

Chris

Historically yes. My most recent issue today, however, are all the warning lights that are now illuminated on the dash and won’t go away, yet the vehicle and al vitals are all showing fine....

Well I am a shop foreman at a Dodge dealer and we have seen issues like this being caused by the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) The TIPM is the under hood fuse box and contains electronic circuits and relays for many of the vehicle's electronics including the fuel pump which can and will cause a crank and no start.

We have found that replacing the TIPM fixes this issue, and I am pretty confident it will.

Chris

What is the ballpark cost of a TIPM replacement?

About $800.00 parts and labor. Maybe less if you can find a remanufactured one.

Chris

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Thanks

You are welcome!

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you! Chris

By the way, if you want to replace the TIPM yourself, let me know and I will send you the procedure for doing that.

Chris

Good morning!

I hope my information/answer from yesterday was helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Hello, just wondering if you still need help. I replied back to you several days ago and have not heard back at all. Please let me know. If you no longer need any more help, then that is fine, but please let me know so I can close this session.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman