Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cranks, no start. everything on the ignition sys is new so…

Customer Question
Cranks, no start. everything...

Cranks, no start. everything on the ignition sys is new so im going with a fuel issue. trying to figure out the fuel pressure spec (97 dodge ram 1500 5.9l)

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

I serviced it a couple months ago, was sitting for about 2-3 months after that due to some dmv registration issues has around 144000-148000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ram 1500?

97

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Been following a flow chart, checked for spark, has spark, reciently replaced the ignition switch, and the starter a couple months ago, changed the spark plug, spark plug wires, distributer cap

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I reciently got it running, replaced the battery, took it for gas then went to get it smogged, the guy said i had to run it at highway speeds fora while before bringing it back. i couldnt take it on the freeway so i was running it at a lil over 2000rpm before it died on me once it died it now cranks but wont start. i think it may be a fuel filter

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/21/2017
Dodge Mechanic: tech0405, Technician replied 7 months ago
tech0405
tech0405, Technician

Good afternoon have you checked to see if you have fuel pressure going to the engine while cranking??

not yet, plan to do that tomorrow, i was looking around for the spec reading but cant really find it anywhere

Fuel pressure spec is 44-54 psi depending on the rpm level but i suggest you at least have 44 psi of fuel pressure while the vehicle is running , more then likely you have a fuel pump that has failed these are common to cause the issue you are having i suggest you start by checking this first I hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback/star rating for the help provided thank you