Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 dodge ram 2500 5.7 hemi I replaced transfer…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 dodge ram 2500 5.7 hemi I replaced transfer case and then started to get a surge at idle and power loss then would come out of it I thought it was bad gas drained tank still same problem occasionaly then engine quit no fuel pressure checked fuel pump it was dead replaced it engine is still surging and engine will not respond much at all to throttle and brakes seem to not work well very stiff but dont provide much stopping power replaced throttle body still same problem noticed upper o2 sensor connection melted to exaust replaced that still same problem getting codes p 222 p0123 p2111 and p2106 2x I have started it with air box off from throttle body to see if any changes with each replacement and reset computer by disconnecting battery for a period of time and touching Pos and neg cables together while disconected just briefly

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?

What is a hard reset?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Did you not read my 1st comment

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not sure what you know

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
Flashing lightning bolt on dash as well
12/21/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check to see if you caused any vacuum leaks when the transfer case was replaced.Check all vacuum hoses and components on the engine for any leaks needing to be repaired.If this is or was checked already and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

There is only one vacuum line on transfer case correct? How do I check for vacuum leaks Can I use a cylinder leak tester I have one from snap on not sure if this is what its for thought it was for testing head?
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago

I apologize for the delay as I have been offline the last couple of days.

If you do not see any visible vacuum leaks on the engine or anywhere on the vehicle the best way to check is a smoke machine injecting smoke into the intake and then checking for where the smoke is leaking from.That would indicate the leak needing repaired.I have done this method several times before in the past to locate a leak issue.Unfortunately, my info isn't showing any vacuum lines to the transfer case itself.There should be a vent line but is for venting pressure only.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete