Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Dodge caravan that is having the fuel pump…

Customer Question
I have a 2011 Dodge...
I have a 2011 Dodge caravan that is having the fuel pump relay issue. A little back story, I had this issue before and already did the fix where I spliced in an external fuel pump relay, which I assume bypasses the TIPM. and it has been working fine until about a month ago. I am not sure what came first, but my wife was rear ended recently. Not too much damage. And it was fixed. And now I am having this problem again. I am not home at the moment, I won't be until 6pm est. But wanted to get some ideas on things I can do to troubleshoot. So I hope there is someone who can help me out.
I have recently changed the alternator and battery tested good(a little over 2 years old).
Some more info about my issues is that I know the car won't start before a crank it because the ABS light and traction control light will remain on with the engine light before cranking. And those 2 lights should disappear. And the heater in the car is also not working.
I wanted to see if there is anything I could do to repair the TIPM before going out buying one. I really don't have the money to buy one. Isn't there a recall on the TIPM? I am not sure of that either
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/19/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 8 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Since you already installed the external relay, the problem will NOT be the TIPM. With the external relay wired in the TIPM is BYPASSED for the fuel pump circuit. Since it was in an accident, I am suspecting either a wiring concern or possibly a damaged fuel pump inside the tank. An impact from behind can definitely jar the fuel pump and cause damage. At this time I recommend to scan the vehicle for codes using a factory level scan tool so you can retrieve codes from ALL onboard modules. Once you do this, post ALL codes here and I will do my best to help...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you? I can check for outstanding recalls with the last 8 digits of the VIN...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Ok when I get home, I will look up the VIN and check the fuel pump. Is there another related relay in the back of the van? And where exactly is the fuel pump at and what should I look for. I have a multimeter, when the problem is happening, what can I read to see if the voltage is getting to the fuel pump?

You stated: "Ok when I get home, I will look up the VIN and check the fuel pump. Is there another related relay in the back of the van?"

No, there are no relays for the fuel pump circuit other than in the Power Distribution Center next to the battery.

The Fuel Pump is INTERNAL to the fuel tank. You can access the fuel pump connector from underneath the van at the center of the fuel tank. Crawling under the vehicle center area you will see the fuel tank there. From the tank area you should find a harness on driver side that leads up to a connector near the tank, disconnect this connector to check for power going to the tank. Keep in mind that fuel pump ONLY receives power for 2 to 3 seconds upon initial turning on of the key. The pump should also run while cranking the engine and of course the pump should run while the engine is running.

Once you post the VIN number I can find the connector pin chart and connector location for this connection..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert