Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have put two engines in my 2.5 caravan. Rings keep

Customer Question
I have put two...

I have put two engines in my 2.5 caravan. Rings keep breaking. Is there a problem with right mount installation or ac bracket torque causing this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the torque specs?

Yes but may not have followed them correctly.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Caravan?

1993

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. first two just hand tightened having not actually read the specs

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/18/2017
Dodge Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 4 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

do you mean the piston rings in the engine???

of course

ok, nothing external would cause the rings to fail.

age and wear are main causes for the failure.

did you remove the head and inspect to be sure??

Roy

next question

excuse me??? waiting for an answer

Roy

The question remains as to what is causing ring failures

ok, you have a great day.

I need answers to questions if I am to help. apparently you are not willing to help me out since I am not there to see it.

I said next question. Howe is that not willing to help. I'll answer any question you have.
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If it's the piston rings you're concerned with, no, a motor mount issue cannot affect them. There is very little that could cause the rings to break other than an internal engine failure.

How are you determining rings are breaking?

1st engine locked up. Disassembled and found broken rings on 3 cyl and broken ring lands on one. 1500 miles since installation. 2nd engine found broken rings in cyl #1 after 90 miles with the boroscope.

How could you see the rings with a boroscope?

Not hard to see. Moved piston to the top and saw top ring broken

If you're able to see piston rings without removing the piston from the cylinder then the piston is the failed part.

No. But I will remove the head. Have to any way. Piston looks ok.

It's physically impossible for a piston ring to be visible in a cylinder if the piston is intact. Piston rings are on the outsides of the pistons and seal them to the bores.

I know rings are on the outside of the pistons. I put them on and slid them into the bore with my ring compressor. There is a small gap between the piston and the cylinder wall where the boroscope can peer. I will remove the head.

The rings couldn't come up past the pistons without the pistons being damaged though. You could be seeing the fire ring of a failed head gasket if there is something that looks like a piston ring in the cylinder.

The rings didn't come up past. The boroscope is looking between the piston and wall. What I see is the ring with a break. Almost have the head off.

The problem has to be installation error or part quality. If a ring is broken it may have been over stretched or there may be a clearance issue that wasn't caught when the engine was apart.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08