Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 with 180,000 mi. I have…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Dodge...
I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 with 180,000 mi. I have been getting engine hesitation at start for about 6 months and just lately getting worse. Also noticed water sounds from heater core getting louder. The other day after I started engine it was running rough and I noticed a lot of white smoke and it slowly cleared as I drove it about a half mile. I turned it off for about an hour and then tried to start it and it jerked the whole truck a made a sound like metal rubbing metal. I was afraid to try starting it again. What should I do.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/18/2017
Dodge Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

The first thing you need to do is remove all the spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine by hand 6 full revolutions with out any tight spots. If it turns good, then you need to do a compression test on all 8 cylinders.

Are you talking about turning the engine with the starter?

No. you will need to use a socket and ratchet on the center bolt of the crank pulley.