Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2013 Charger Pursuit. Base 6 speaker stereo. No external…

Customer Question
2013 Charger Pursuit. Base...

2013 Charger Pursuit. Base 6 speaker stereo. No external amp. (No fuse in space #27). Installed aftermarket speakers, components front, coaxials rear. Worked fine. Added aftermarket amp. First few minutes, no sound. Then, great sound...minutes later, no sound. The 4.3 display works. Tunes in radio stations and displays info from iPhone. But no sound.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Radio fuses is fine. There is no amplifier fuse which tells me there’s no external amp. What wiring diagram are you referring to?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pursuit yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried plugging in a factory speaker directly to stock radio instead of the amp both front and rear. Plugged iPhone directly into aftermarket amp RCAs. Sounds normal in each of those pairs of inputs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That pretty much sums it up. Thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/17/2017
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 7 months ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!!! I'm reading your question and will post a reply soon. Thank you for your patience.

Can I get your VIN?

Thank you.
2C3CDXAT3DH692957

Thanks for the VIN!!

First off you have two open recalls, the S68 (Alternator) and the S03(Wheel Chocks). Feel free to stop by any Dodge dealership to get these repaired free of charge..

On your radio issue you are correct, your vehicle doesn't have a Amplifier per your VIN. Since you are using the factory radio you will need a High level input converter, are you using one?

Thanks for the recall info.
No, I’m not using a converter. My aftermarket amp has an input specifically for speaker level signal. I am strongly considering a digital signal processor and a device that simulates a speaker load before going into the DSP. But if the factory radio did not react by producing sound through a factory speaker during my troubleshooting, seems like something needs to be reset. With the aftermarket amp, the system went from “not working” to “working” to “not working”. I didn’t change any connections. I sat in the car with the radio on, ignition in the “run” position, engine off for about ten minutes with no sound. The power/ignition shut off. I turned it back on, sound was playing through the system and sounded good. Maybe five or ten minutes later the power/ignition shut off again. I realized maybe I should actually start the engine instead of just running off the battery. Started the engine...no sound. That was last Sunday. Amp and speakers work fine, tested with iPhone through all aftermarket amp RCA inputs. Tried plugging in factory speaker at different locations to produce a “load” that the radio may need. No sound.
Standing by for info. Thanks.
Your last response did not solve my issue. Do you consider this resolved? I do not. Please acknowledge.
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 6 months ago

Sorry for the delay...

I would connect a high line converter and see if it corrects your issues..