Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 ten dodge avenger stuck in drive mode got the gears to…

Customer Question
2010 ten dodge avenger...

2010 ten dodge avenger stuck in drive mode got the gears to move but want want start

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

7 years old wear would that be

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hold down the red botton

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The level would move down but its still in drive mode an wont crank

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/17/2017
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It sounds as if the shifter was in drive and would not move, it was forced to move and now the shifter itself may be in park, but the trans is not and the starter isn't able to engage. If the shifter was hard to move and then would not move at all then the most likely cause would be corrosion on the valve body manual valve shaft, but it could also be the shift cable itself. If the shifter was forced to move then the shift cable most likely broke. This would have left the trans in whatever position it was in when the cable broke. If it was not in park or neutral then that will prevent the starter from engaging.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.