Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Heater problem on Dodge Stratus. Read temp at hose with IR

Heater problem on Dodge Stratus JA...
Heater problem on Dodge Stratus
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: yes, read temp at hose with IR gun = 180
JA: What year is your Stratus?
Customer: 2004 Stratus RT Coupe with 3.0l engine
JA: Are you fixing your Stratus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the heater controls are mechanical, air is cooler on drivers (90) side than passengers (110).
12/16/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

That hose test was that on both of the heater core hoses at the firewall?

Was that test done on full heat, blower on high, engine at operating temp while running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for helping.Coolant overflow is full, although I get a whiff of coolant periodically. Temp at top radiator hose = 176, heater inlet 135, outlet 110. During cold weather the car has lukewarm air. I don't under stand why the air is 20 degrees warmer on drivers side.I have a lot of the instrument panel apart, verified operation of the recirculating door (only electric), & check mechanical operation of blend door. with approaching cold weather in Illinois this is the first time I've noticed a heat problem since last year.

Your heater core is not hot enough, and your upper hose is a tad cool. I would flush the heater core in both directions to make sure it is not restricted. Then I would check or replace the thermostat it may be partially stuck open. Check the cooling fan to make sure it is not running all the time. Normal temps should be upper hose 190 range, heater hoses 160-190. Another possible causes is a worn pump that is not moving enough coolant to get enough flow through the heater core.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Phone call session started

Give me your first name and I will make the call you requested.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lance
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician