Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2000 dodge 3500 5.9L6 Cummins. I’m trying to

Customer Question
I have a 2000 dodge...
I have a 2000 dodge 3500 5.9L6 Cummins . I’m trying to correctly diagnose my p1693 and p1689 dtc. At first it was a camshaft sensor error I replaced it code is gone. It was loosing its boost power down the hiway and it would come back . Now it will fire up run for a few minutes or 30 seconds and will die .afterwards won’t start . Now I checked power to inj pump no less than 10 v during cranking. Under 5.0 kohms to ground (2.5 to .8 kohms) on both ecm and injection .module.. orbCommunication lines have continuity. and range between controllers at 0.3 kohms .wheni try to boost it off the battery terminal puts off a big spark. The only thing I didn’t do was load check black and orange wire with test light. Other than that it won’t stay running with another ecm and all ther Wiring seems to be in spec. What the deal with the spark could that be an internal short in inj module . Can it be replaced without a pump how do I check module for short
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/16/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you have the diag steps for these codes? If not let me know so I can provide those and we can go through and knock those out to see if other concerns remain.

I found the power , ground, can + and can -, checks all under 5.0 kohms. Good fuel pressure , switched out ecm from my other dodge and viseversa both ran at first then the 2000 model died . When hooking up booster cables there is a big spark present from the information I had I believe my ecm and wiring between controllers is ok. The only thing I didn’t do was the bulb bulb check on ground circuit to see if it will hold a load

So you do need these diagnostic steps or do you have them?

I would like to see if they are the same steps , specs, and procedures as I performed so we are on the same page.
Don’t have anymore info than the communication lines and power and ground checks
Please provide I do not have all the information needed . I will begin again there. I don’t mind double checking . Thank you

See these steps.

1693 means the PCM is telling you there is a code in the ECM.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9axqlo3lozjs78w/1689.pdf?dl=0

Let me know if those steps and repairs were done to address and erase code 1689

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Ok performed checks on #2 terminal on fpcm to ground . Performed all other checks in order first my discrepancy is the step . I have 0.0 ohms so with that being said issue should be within the white wire on the data link between connectors on ecm and fpcm .

Step 2 indicates there are no codes stored anymore and to check the FPCM connector for an issue that may be causing an intermittent concern.

What else can I provide that may help you?

I was talking about the step which you check terminal 2 of fpcm to check resistance across to terminal 13 of ecm it states if resistance is less than 5.0 ohms then there is a short to ground. My reading was 0.0 ohms. So issues is in datalink between controllers
Oh crap I apologize some where I got confused
Step 6 #2 terminal ohms check to ground . 2.5 ohms to battery negative post and .3 ohms to frame ground.

Are you needing the data communication wire diagram?

No I have it. So the wires in the emi wrap if I remove the wrap then make repairs is it acceptable to twist the pair together or is the shield wire going to cause issues with signal

The shield wire should not interfere as long as all the insulation is fine.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician