Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Not much heat changed both stats flushed rad. No leaks. 2010…

Customer Question
Not much heat changed...

Not much heat changed both stats flushed rad

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2010 sxt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Both stats and flush

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

And rad cap change

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/15/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

Very first thing to do is ensure the coolant level is up to the mark and if low top it up with the correct antifreeze or pre-mixed coolant as stated in the owners manual
I'd then check that the engine is getting up to temperature, if its not then its likely the thermostat needs changing.
If this is OK have a feel of the two coolant pipes that pass into the car through the engine bay bulkhead, both should be warm with a warm engine. If they're not then its likely the heater matrix is blocked and you should do a reverse flush on the cooling system to try and clean it out. This is done by removing the top hose from the radiator and placing a garden hose into the engine water outlet, and then run the hose until you get clean water coming out of the radiator.
If this doesn't help this only leaves checking out the motor / cable that moves the air mixing flap that allows the hot air from the matrix to enter the car air system.

This flap is controlled by the temperature knob / dial etc and I think is controlled with a small motor for your car so the thing to do is first get access to the back of the control knob and measure the voltages is present there, then trace the wiring back into the dash from the control to locate the motor.

It’s worth first checking the fuses for the fan / control circuit

I'd recommend first removing the glovebox ( undo lower edge hinges from dash) to gain access to the dashboard inner and also allow you to shine a torch to the back of the central console so you can start tracing the wire back and see how things are put together

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt