Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Dodge 1500 that blows warn for about 30

Hello, I have a 2002...
Hello, I have a 2002 Dodge 1500 that blows warn for about 30 seconds then goes cold. If we keep the RPMS at 3000 then it will blow warm air through the heaters. I have replaced the radiator cap.
12/15/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

This condition is caused by an air pocket in the cooling system. Air pockets are caused by slow coolant leaks. As the coolant leaks out, air enters the system causing a massive air pocket over time. Topping off the coolant and bleeding the system will likely do the trick. However, I would recommend to pressure check the cooling system and fix/replace anything that is leaking coolant.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hello, Check pressure it is 20 Psi
Where did you check pressure?
Radiator cap
It did lose pressure slowly after a while. But we don't seem to find a leak anywhere

So you checked it with a cooling system pressure checker?

we did

Ok good. If there are no leaks, then I would recommend to drain, flush and bleed the cooling system (free of any air pockets) and that will likely do the trick!

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Hello,So did the flush and it still blows hot at first. When the gas is pressed and you rev up the engine it does get warmer but the minute you let off the gas it cools down.

Usually, this is due to an air pocket stuck in the cooling system. I would be willing to bet you need to bleed the system more and purge the air out.

We actually didn't do the flush he took to a vip wouldn't they have done that during the flush?

What was done and where was it done?

I dont understand

I don't have a coolant flush here. So he took to a local auto service place that did his coolant
flush.

Got it!

YES, they should have done that when they flushed it.

okay so what would be next to check then?

I would have them check both heater hoses when this happens to ensure they both stay nice and hot. Maybe the issue is inside the dash.

If not, then have them pressure check the cooling system for leaks, check the water pump and check for a blown head gasket.