Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am having power performance issue which started after I…

Customer Question
I am having power...

I am having power performance issue which started after I heard a pop sound in the front of my 2006 dodge sprinter 3500. error code read out is as this, P0380, p0299, P0675, P0673, P0671, P0299

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It happen a few days ago and I have a louder noise in the front driver area of the motor but hard to pinpoint. It starts but hard to start on cold morning and slow acceleration

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

I change the turbo reasonator as I thought it was a limit boost condition

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I am aware of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/14/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

those codes are basically 2 faults, as you have several glow plug faults and a low boost fault

so I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

and I'd also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt