Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1995 dodge caravan 3.3L and it hasn't been shifting

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 1995 dodge caravan 3.3L and it hasn't been shifting out of second gear for a wile and sometimes I will be driving and the engin will loose power for a second slowing the van and then return to normal again. It's been doing that for a wile and then yesterday I started the van and put into drive and it kept stalling before I could drive. I managed to get it to go by putting in drive and hitting the Gass right away.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: It is the origional transmission
JA: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Brake switch?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just started looking into it now
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you.

Is the check engine light on? Are there any codes in the computer?

Have you checked the transmission fluid?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The check engine light is on. I haven't got a code reader. The transmission fluid is full and clear.
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Provided all of the fuse and wiring up to the transmission are good, this condition is most likely caused by a faulty transmission speed sensor. (input or output speed sensor).

I would check/replace those first before replacing/rebuilding the transmission.

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi I just went to a shop and had it scanned. It is reading codes 42 2-4 solenoid circuit , 26 2-4 switch circuit and 27 2-4 switch circuit. He said it would probably need more testing but I am short on funds and the vehicle isn't worth that much so I would like to try and fix it on my own. Any more thoughts?
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Certainly. What exactly is your question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm just wondering what the general procedure would be when running these codes.
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

You mean what the diagnostic steps would be?