Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

MY 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 will crank, run good approx.1 to

Customer Question
MY 1997 Dodge Ram...

MY 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 will crank, run good approx.1 to 2miles, if ypu stopit dies.Starts right backup, runs good for 1/4 mile but if you stopit dies again. Thereafter it dies nomore

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

YES

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes,after trying 2 garages,and was told therewas told they or their machines machines found nothing wrong.Checked idle andpcv valve

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/13/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 8 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer. This is usually caused by a throttle body that has become coked up with carbon deposits. When the throttle body gets dirty, then the airflow going around the throttle plate gets restricted. This can cause low or no idle and sometimes stalling when coming to a stop. I recommend purchasing a can of spray throttle body cleaner and clean out the inside of the throttle body. Be sure to clean the throttle plate paying attention to the edges of the plate (follow the directions on the can). If you still have this problem, then replacing the idle motor would be the next step. If you already replaced the Idle motor, then the other thing it may be is an upstream od sensor that is not warming up fast enough and causing a lean fuel condition. Replace the O2 sensor(s) but PLEASE use only Mopar brand OEM sensors. I have had issues with some aftermarket ones.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this,

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you ever received my answer. Please let me know if you did. If so and it was helpful, please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.

Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!