Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500. And last week it stalled,there…

Customer Question
Hello...I have a 2011 Dodge...
Hello...I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500. And last week it stalled,there was some smoke coming out from under the hood,but couldn't pin point where the smoke was coming from..,upon further inspection I noticed the battery terminals were loose..I tightened them up I was able to start it up,but it only ran briefly,stalled again.i tried to start it up and nothing,the starter doesn't engage at all...any ideas?..
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/13/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this today.

When you saw the smoke did you smell any burned plastic smells?

I did..however it was dark and I was unable to find the source

Okay, I have a feeling that it was most likely the starter solenoid failing. I would recommend trying to benchtest the starter and see if it will engage on it's own or if it is completely dead

I'm in a bad cell service area..so unable to call..its intermittent, and most likely drop call

Okay not a problem, the website sends call prompts, I am just fine using this text feature with you :)

The other issue is the fuel pump has a tendency to keep running,after the truck is shut off..wondering if the tipm bypass would be a possible solution

Yeah I have heard a few people who have had luck with bypassing it, occasionally it seems like it can develop other system issues tho. Does the pump run constant or for a few moments?

Yeah it runs until the battery dies

Ok then it is possible that the tipm has shorted or the fuel pump circuits have a short to power/ground, it should normally shut off within 2mins but it should not keep running

Yeah a friend of mine..,has been googling some info..,and he just sent me a few scenarios,of other people having the exact same issues..and all were solved with the bypass..I'm still a little skeptical,because of the smoke..although I was informed the smoke may have been a result of loose battery connections..low voltage can cause wires to smoke

Yeah if the terminals were loose enough it is very possible that they moved around and arced enough to create sparks that were smoking